Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bigger Sail, Now Need to Get to Work!

I've used a 40' lateen sail for as long as I've sailed this boat and it's fine in many conditions, but really doesn't do the job in light winds. I got a nice, light, red and white, 54' sprits'l from my Uncle Carl a couple years back, one he used on his Salmon Wherry, and I need to not only make a new mast and spars--all of bamboo--but now need to step it forward of the lateen.

I need to make a mast thwart, also known as a mast 'partner,' and a new step. The current partner [which is built into the forward seat] and step will stay in place, which gives me two rig choices.

The sprits'l needs reefing points installed though. I reckon bringing it down to 40' will be will a good choice.

Sprits'ls are a lot more efficient than lateens [how much, I don't know right off] and they allow the boat to point higher, which will be nice. I just hope the new sail doesn't over power my new leeboards!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would appreciate a photo of the "reefing points" after you get them on this sail. I may need to do the same thing with the sprit sail I have on my canoe.

Better yet, maybe an article for the web magazine? A little self promotion never hurt anyone...:-)

Author said...

Thanks, yeah, that's in the plan. I'm taking it to a sailmaker to get that done. And of course I'll do a writeup on it!